Careful preparation for a useful college visit is very important. There are usually a limited number of allowed school absences for the purpose of visiting colleges, there is a limit as to how much time parents can give to the task and there may be a limit to budgeted travel money for such visits.
Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Plan the visit with the help of admissions representatives or recruiters so that you know that they know you will be on campus and are interested in visiting specific areas
- Don’t plan a visit when the students are away for Spring Break, etc. It may not be a good idea to visit during exams, etc.
- Make plans to meet with any students from your high school that may have gone to the college or anybody you might know that goes there. Have ready a list of specific questions such as:
- how they like the college
- if they have any complaints or problems with the college or why they like it
- ask them how the workload compares to their high school experience
- any advice or recommendations that they might have for you
- Take opportunities to talk to strangers on the campus and ask them similar questions
Click here for more suggestions – “Make the most of upcoming campus visits”
Here are even more suggestions – “Get the Most Out of Your College Visits”